Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Preaching in the Park

Hey guys!                                                                                          

Well, it was an amazing week! This morning for P-Day the APs came to Helen for the day, along with four other Elders they picked up on their way. We hiked to some waterfalls located a couple of miles past Helen and it was awesome! They were gorgeous. Everything up here in the mountains is very scenic. For instance, this week we were just driving down the street and suddenly there was an opening in the trees. We stopped to see what it was and saw an awesome overlook to Lake Russel.  It was seriously so beautiful. Such experiences are one of the many reasons why I love Georgia!
The work is great! Our ward is super fired up about missionary work right now. As Elders we've made some changes to try and get everyone more excited. The ward is suddenly going crazy and all the members are asking us for pamphlets to hand out to their friends and even strangers, and after they hand out the pamphlets, they report their experiences to everyone the following Sunday. So, those who are having positive experiences are getting everyone else pumped up and it's been fun to watch! We’re actually seeing some tangible success from it. For instance, I told you about Adam, who a member brought to church last week. Well, we taught him twice this week and he committed to be baptized on the 15th of November. Ha Ha!  When we asked him to commit, he had a big goofy grin on his face and said, "Yes." So, hopefully we can make it go down. The lesson, after which we asked him to be baptized, was on Saturday morning in the park and that's what Brother Hack sent you guys a picture of. Glad you liked it!
Elder Roderick and Elder Larsen teaching in Cornelia.

Something funny happened last Sunday and I ran out of time to tell you about it last week. That night we didn't have any appointments and it was really dark so knocking on doors wouldn't be a very...pleasant...experience.  So, finally we thought, "Alright, let's go to McDonalds and see if we can talk to someone." When we got there, the other Elders just went and sat at a table and they said to me, "What are we supposed to do? We can't buy anything because it's Sunday and we're not about to just go sit down with someone while they're eating!" I thought, “That’s fine if you sit there but I'm not going to just sit.” Instead, I just starting walking around and I found this sweet old lady who was all dressed up so I approached her and started a conversation. I learned she had just finished attending her church service. I talked to her for about five minutes, when suddenly ten people came and sat next to us. I was thinking, “What the heck?” It turns out they were all at McDonalds with the lady and they were just ordering food when I started to talk with her. Before I knew it I was talking to a dozen people, including the church pastor, and answering questions about the LDS Church. One of them asked the classic question, "Mormons. Don't y'all have more than one wife?" So, I said what I always say. "No Ma'am. My dad has one wife and I think that's all he can handle!" Ha Ha! It was a hilarious experience!
On Saturday night we had dinner with a member of our ward and her two non-member neighbors. The neighbors are both from New York and one of them is Italian and has the thickest New York accent I’ve ever heard. I could've listened to her talk all day! "I really enjoyed feedin' ya's!" Oh man!
On Sunday I gave a talk in sacrament meeting. The topic was sustaining our prophets, so I used my skydiving experience to make my point. You're probably wondering how in the heck I could tie that expereince into the gospel and at first I had no idea either, I just wanted an excuse to use it, but I found it actually worked really well and the whole ward was dying with laughter as I explained my experience. I think I got my message across.



I love each of you so much! Thank you for supporting me. I love being a missionary and I know there is nowhere I would rather be right now. Talk to you soon!


Elder Roddy

No comments:

Post a Comment