Monday, February 9, 2015

A Modern Day War in Heaven

What's up guys?                                                                                 


This week was a roller coaster, up and down..up and down...ALL THE TIME. It never gets old. I’ve come to understand that if something good happens, I know Satan will try to combat it somehow. But when something good comes around, it just makes the joy of missionary work that much sweeter. Elder Gosar and I have been so busy that it's ridiculous. We've been doing exchanges all week and planning a zone conference and in the meantime we’re trying to handle a group of Haitians, which is no small task. I'll give you a little insight to my life:
So, like I told you last week, all we teach are Haitians because there are a ton here in Roswell. There is a little Haitian church here in the city that HATES us (and by "us" I mean the Mormon missionaries) because there are a lot of Haitians who attend our church and we're constantly teaching people that go to theirs. I feel like I'm living in a modern day War in Heaven. There have been so many people that meet with us, feel the Spirit, tell us they know it's true, then still decide to go to the Haitian church because they have a better band (seriously) and they get inundated with anti material. Ughhhhh.
Lately there have been tons of Haitians getting baptized into our church so Satan has been making it really hard on those who are investigating. Alice, our sweet investigator got fed a ton of “anti” this week and consequently, she told us she doesn't want to come to church anymore. The worst part is that we couldn't do anything about it because we didn't meet with her once this week due to her work schedule. So sad! KEEP READING THOUGH LOL. For every bad thing there is a good one!
CLEEVENS is doing so amazing!! This week we felt prompted to move his date up to the 14th. So, we talked to him about it and he was all game! He'll be getting baptized this Saturday! We're going to meet with him every day, warn him of opposition and try to help him remain strong. Please pray for Cleevens to have the strength to withstand it! The best part, however, is that he already has. He is best friends with Alice's son Steven (all the Haitians know each other) and on Saturday night while he was at Alice’ house she tried to argue with him and tell him not to come to church, but instead of arguing he bore his testimony to her.  He told her that he knew the church was true.  Yah, baby!  Then, he came to church yesterday AND brought a friend with him! He's helping us teach his little sisters too!
HERE'S THE BEST PART THOUGH: Last night he told us that when he and his friend (Marvin) were on their way home from church and they arrived at his apartment complex they decided to KNOCK ON A RANDOM DOOR AND SHARE THE GOSPEL WITH SOMEONE! They literally knocked on a door, gave some guy a Restoration pamphlet, and said, "This church has brought us a lot of happiness. It will bring your family closer together. We love it. Please join us next Sunday." LIKE WHAT!? I wish you could've seen Elder Gosar and me! We were stunned! You never hear about investigators doing that! It was unreal! I love that kid so much!
There were so many other experiences that happened but I'd have to write a book so I'll cut it short. We're teaching some other great people (Haitians of course...and 1 white girl. Boo ya!). We’re teaching Jacque and Nella Pierre, a couple from Haiti. They didn't come to church on Sunday because Nella has a commitment at her current church every 2nd Sunday of the month. But, she told a member of our ward that she has that conflict "until she comes to the Mormon church permanently." So we're praying for that to come true!!
In other news, I rode in a Tesla this week (if anyone cares). I didn't even know what a Tesla was until I got to Roswell. But now I want one. Dad??? :)

Love you guys!! Thank you for everything! You're in my prayers! LOVEUBYE

Elder Roddy

P.S. The picture is of an 89 year old guy in our ward. He only speaks Creole so we took him with us this week to speak to some of the Haitians. 


No comments:

Post a Comment