Hello Everyone!
I had an
awesome week here in the ATL and it went by so fast. I can't even believe it!
Seriously, I feel like it was just yesterday that I was reporting about my new
companion and my Romanian friend. I love it! Next week will officially be my 8th
MONTH mark, which means I'm already 1/3 into my mission. It's crazy!! Time as a
missionary goes by SO much faster than at home!
| Elder Coleman and Elder Roderick |
My week
officially started on Tuesday when I had my quarterly interview with President
Wolfert and it was great! I really love that man! Afterwards, was a
downer though because Elder Flake and I had to inspect everyone's car
and it took forever! Such jobs are one of the unfortunate things about being a
Zone Leader. We went on exchange that day with the Assistants and I went with
Elder Coleman to Lilburn. We had a great time! Elder Coleman is 23 and he's
such an amazing missionary. I learned a ton from him! A lot of people think we
kind of look alike so during the exchange I wore my glasses and parted my hair
so I would look like him. I tried, but I don't really think we look alike.
On
Thursday Elder Flake and I had the most hilarious experience. Oh my gosh! I
wish you could meet the people here in Georgia because they are all so
unique. I’ve had to learn how to
interact with all types of people. So,
we had an appointment with a potential investigator named Rihanna. When we
arrived at her house she wasn’t home, but her family was! There were five huge
African American dudes just chillin’ outside playing ball! One looked exactly
like Gerald Wallace! I'm not even kidding. We tried to talk to them and they
were cool to us, but they were just way too caught up in their basketball game.
So finally, I said, "Hey! If I beat one of you in a game of one-on-one you
guys have to listen to us. Deal?" They paused for a minute then said,
"Naaa. We're too tired but we'll play you in HORSE!" So I started
playing against a kid named Dee Dee and MOMMA YOUR BOY WAS HOTTTT. I literally
made eighteen shots in a row. Baby! After about my eighth shot, one of the guys
yelled, "Aye fellas! Do ya'll realize dis’ boy here hasn't missed a shot
yet?" And, then another one said, "It's cause he's got da LAWWWWD on
his side, brother!" Well pretty soon they stopped playing HORSE and just
started rebounding for me and every time I would shoot they'd yell, "FOR
JESUS! AHHHHHH!" Oh, my! I WAS DYING.
Just imagine a bunch of laid-back African American dudes just laughing and going
crazy in the driveway while I shoot hoops. So, of course it ended up that they
had to listen to us and we taught them for a while but they weren't really
interested. I guess it was worth a shot!
On Friday
I went on exchanges with Elder Price, a missionary from Draper, and he's such
an awesome kid! We took one of our new investigators, Patrick Hutzell, on a
church tour. Patrick was in the marines and 10 years ago he had a stroke so he
can't use his left arm. He's on date to be baptized the 10th of May and he came
to church this Sunday and loved it! Like
all of us, Patrick has a few things to work on but he’s on the right path.
Sister Burns is also getting prepared for her baptism, which is schedule on
Easter Sunday. Even though she's in a lot of pain nothing is stopping her from
taking the step toward baptism. It's so awesome! Pray for her please!!
On Saturday
morning Elder Price and I provided some service for the Bronkemas family. We met them while we were tracting and they
are the COOOOOLEST people. They’ve met with the missionaries in the past and
they really aren’t interested in changing their lifestyle or their beliefs but
they love to learn about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
They've invited us for dinner a couple times and we provide service for them in
return. So, after we finished working, Tim, the father, said "Hey Roderick,
Come over here. I've got something for you." So, we followed him into the
garage and he pulled out a 1929 BOOK OF MORMON! It's so sick!! Apparently his
wife received it from her great grandma and they just gave it to me! Then, he
told us that his side job is working as a spotter for NBC and the Golf Channel!
He showed us all of the souvenirs he has from tournaments and he has notes
attached to them that remind him about who hit which club, on which tee at the
US Open. It was all pretty sick too!
Following
church on Sunday afternoon, we experienced a miracle with a member family named
the Watkins. We made a family mission plan with them and at the end
of our discussion we got on our knees together and prayed for
the opportunity to find someone to teach in their home within the next
month. Then, we left and when we were walking to our car we saw their next
door neighbors moving some rocks from their driveway to the flowerbeds. So, we
went over and started to help them. While we worked, we talked to them and when
the rocks were moved we asked if they would like to learn more about the
church. They immediately said, “Yes!” Then we asked if we could meet with
them for some lessons in the Watkin's home and they replied, "Ya! We love
the Watkins!" So we scheduled the lesson! Immediately after
we offered the prayer, it was answered. Miracles happen!
| BEAT the EASTER RUSH! WORSHIP NOW! |
As you can
see everything is great and I'm loving my life as a missionary! I couldn't
ask for a better time to be serving than right now! Everyday I realize
more and more that this is the perfect time for me to be serving and I know my
service will continue to bless my life when I get home. Thank you for
continuing to support me! I couldn't do it without you!
Elder Roddy
No comments:
Post a Comment