Monday, April 7, 2014

"Are we sleepers, observers, or workers in the Restoration of the gospel?" President Dieter F. Uchtdorf


HELLLOOOO EVERYONE!!!                                                                      

It's been such an amazing and busy week here in the ATL!!! I'm still alive, so I can't complain!
Robert Reid and Elders

All right, where do I even start? Last Monday, on P-Day, Elder Covington and I went bowling with a man from one of our neighboring wards.  His name is Robert Reid and is 81 years old. Robert was baptized two years ago and he knows Elder Covington so he drove over to our area to go bowling with us! Oh my gosh! It was so much fun to watch this guy bowl and in the process, fall over every time. That sounds horrible but he would just bounce back up and crack a joke. I couldn't stop laughing. I never thought I'd have so much fun spending time with the “old folks” but I guess that's just what being a missionary does to you!

On Tuesday we had an interesting situation that put Elder Covington and me in Stone Mountain Park for the day! We got to spend the day walking around the mountain and talking to all the people there and to say the least, it was so much fun! The mountain is huuuuge! There's a carving on the side of the mountain that depicts three Confederate generals riding their horses.  The carving is so gigantic that two school buses can fit inside of one of the horse's nostrils! Crazy stuff!

Elder Roderick and Elder Covington at Stone Mountain

               Wednesday was transfers! I always hate transfers because I've loved my companions so much! It was a bummer saying, “Goodbye” to Elder Covington but I'm going to be friends with that kid forever! It's crazy how close you get to someone in just six weeks! I've decided that a companionship is like marriage, but without all the eternal blessings.
My new companion is Elder Flake and he's a cowboy from Ely, Nevada. Elder Flake entered the mission field a transfer before me and we were trained in the same district. He was the first person I ever went on exchange with and now we're companions! Pretty cool, huh? We get along great and have so much fun together! I don't know why I’ve been so fortunate to have such amazing companions.
General Conference this weekend was like a little slice of heaven for all the missionaries.  Nothing could be better than ten hours in a cold, dark room relaxing and watching the Lord's prophet! As a missionary, Conference takes on a new meaning and it is so much more impactful than before I was serving. I have a totally different view on the messages.  Words and feelings stand out to me that I don't think I would've ever noticed before in my life. I loved the talk about gratitude from President Uchtdorf.  My favorite, however, was his talk during the Priesthood session where he spoke about how the Restoration is STILL happening and it's not a past event. He asked, "Are we sleepers, observers, or workers in the Restoration of the gospel?" This question really made me reflect on myself as a member of the church and on my service as a missionary. All of the talks were so good! When President Monson got up to close the conference it just hit that I know he is definitely a prophet! There's no way to deny it!
            This weekend we had the most amazing lessons with Sister Burns, our top investigator who is getting baptized in a couple weeks. She is such a strong woman and I wish you all could just hear her testimony! Satan hits her hard every week but she bounces back every time! After battling cancer for five years she has just been told it is in remission but now she might have a compressed spinal cord.  Even so, nothing is stopping her! I wish you all could be in the room when I’m with her and feel the spirit she has!
Finally, do you remember my Romanian opera-singing friend from last week? Well, on Saturday night we were driving out of a restaurant parking lot after some members took us to dinner and I saw him walking on the sidewalk!! I yelled, "YOOOOO, HELLO MY FRIEND. COME OVER HERE!" So, he came over to our car and serenaded us in the middle of the parking lot. Ha Ha! I swear, it’s only on a mission will you meet people like that.
Life is good!
I love you all!!
Thank you so much for your support!


Elder Roddy

No comments:

Post a Comment