Monday, September 8, 2014

Cornelia, Georgia: 1/2 Mile and an HOUR Away

Hello Y'All, 

This week was insane! It went by super fast. On Wednesday Elder Larsen and I drove down to the mission office for a trainer follow-up meeting where we were basically involved in some training meetings and had the opportunity talk about how things are going. Everything with training is going super well! I love Elder Larsen. Ha Ha. He's such a goof ball and I know he was supposed to be my companion because he's the only Elder who can handle my million-miles-an-hour personality.
Atlanta, Georgia Temple
On Thursday I got to go down to the temple! I was SO excited because I haven't been there since November, but then OF COURSE on the way down there, everything that could've gone wrong, actually went wrong! The Elder who was driving us ended up rear-ending another car and this took 30 minutes to figure out. So, that made us arrive in Atlanta just in time for the morning traffic. Uggg!  I woke up at 4:45 (am!) to leave by 5:15 and by the time we got to the temple it was 9:15.  The session started at 9:00.  So, we just barely missed it! At first I was really mad, but instead of doing a session we got to do some sealings. It was my first time ever doing sealings and it was actually really cool! While we were there, I also got to see a ton of my mission friends so it was awesome. Hopefully I can go back soon!
Elder Roderick with Elder "Croft" at the Atlanta Temple
Oh, man! The work this week was crazy. Ha ha! We've been working with Cassandra, who I’ve told you about for the past few weeks. Her situation is nuts. So, she has been living in Cornelia with her sisters and she's eating up the gospel. She knows it's true and wants to be baptized so badly. The entire time we’ve been teaching Cassandra her plan has been to move to North Carolina this week. So, we've basically been preparing her for other missionaries. But, as her time to leave arrived, she decided that she’d rather stay in Cornelia and start a life here because she has a lot more opportunities here than in North Carolina. On Friday we went with an older member couple, the Rylees, to meet with her and make a game plan of how she could stay here in Georgia. Amazingly, without us even asking, the Rylees volunteered to let Cassandra stay in their home. But, the only problem is it would have to be AFTER baptism because I guess that's what the Church prefers. So, all Cassandra has to do is stay in her sister's house for a couple more weeks until her baptism. But, for a number of reasons, this isn't an option. 
The next day, Saturday, we got a text from her.  She said that she had a bus ticket for North Carolina on Tuesday (tomorrow). Elder Larsen and I were biking that day and we were about 20 minutes away when we got the text so we decided to bike over there and talk to her about it. Well, on the way, my infinite intelligence led me astray and I took a horrible wrong turn. After 30 minutes of biking we ended up in the opposite direction - near the freeway! We tried taking all these side streets and kept ending up back at the freeway. I was so frustrated! At one point, we saw a sign that said, "Cornelia: 1/2 mile." So, I thought, "Forget it! We're going!" So, low and behold, two elders started biking in the 3 foot-tall grass on the side of the freeway for 15 minutes until we finally got off the exit. Ya, guys. I know that's illegal. (I learned this the next day at church when at least 5 members who saw us, had to comment about it.  Thank you very much!. $%&*$(#) Anyway, we finally got to Cassandra's and she told us that she really didn't want to leave. So, yesterday she packed her stuff and went to church with the Rylees and actually stayed the night at their house. Right now they are trying to find a place for her to stay for two weeks until her baptism, which is scheduled for September 20th. I hope I described the whole thing well enough for y'all to understand. It's all just so crazy! I don't even know what's going to happen. Pray for her to be able to find a place to stay and who knows, maybe we'll have a baptism in a couple weeks. She already has a job lined up and she can start school too; it's just the living situation that's holding everything back. Through all of this turmoil, I've gained a huge testimony of the Church. Watching these members work together for ONE individual is truly amazing to see! It’s often said that the gospel is all centered around LOVE and it really is. It's been amazing for me to be a part of Cassandra’s conversion, no matter what happens!
There are a million other things that happened this week, but I think that's good for now. Thank you guys for your endless support I couldn't be here without you! I love y'all so much!!! Talk to you soon!

Elder Roddy












No comments:

Post a Comment