Monday, November 17, 2014

UP and DOWN and WRAP AROUND with a SNAKE

Hey y'all!!!!                                                                                       

How are you?? HOW 'BOUT THEM UTES BABY!! Ha Ha! All the poor BYU fans here in Georgia probably want to kill me. Anyway another week down! It's starting to get freeeeezing here. I think the high for tomorrow is 39! Pray for little Roddy! I might die!
Well, it was definitely an up and down week, which is basically my life as a Mormon missionary. I started off the week by giving one of the other Elders here in Cornelia a haircut. Oh man! That poor boy! Ha Ha! The entire time I was cutting his hair I kept thinking back to my junior year when Mom cut my hair and she totally messed up so I had to walk around school all day with my hood on! (I can laugh about it now!) But, I actually did a pretty decent job of cutting his hair. I was surprised! The mission is teaching me more than I thought it would.  Ha! Ha!
The “down” part of the week was that Chantz decided he doesn't want to get baptized yet… or anytime soon. More than anything, I was just surprised because he was so solid and so engaged with us. But, I guess he prayed about it and he felt like he couldn't leave his mom right now. I'm not sure what I've told you about Chantz, but his dad just recently left his mom and it's been a pretty rough situation. It was a sudden change for them and it's been hard for their family. So, Chantz was torn between religion and his family and he felt like he just needed to stay with his mom for now, which we totally respect. The good news is we can still teach him, obviously. We actually had dinner with his mom on Saturday and she is looking for a church right now. So, they will be coming as a family to our ward with their grandma soon and hopefully we'll start teaching their entire family. I think the Lord just wants us to be patient and He has plans for the family as a whole. So we're not losing hope!
As always, there were definitely some “ups” in the week! We taught Robin's Sister Renee' and her nephew, James, twice this week and they were both really effective lessons! Renee' is really struggling with the loss of their dad and she's basically at rock bottom right now. So, we're trying our best to help her find hope in the gospel. James is going to start attending Boy Scouts in the ward which will be the PERFECT step to help him feel comfortable. On Tuesday night while we were teaching them, Robin was telling us how much it had meant to her to come back to church and feel the love that was there. She said, "I'm going to church for the rest of my life! The way I feel while I'm there and while you guys are here teaching me is so peaceful and I love it. I'm never missing again!" Well....on Saturday night she got a stomach virus and had to go to the ER so she missed church. Ha! Ha! Of course! But hey, it's the thought that counts!
Elder Roderick, the Cornelia Snake Charmer
On Wednesday night we played basketball with the Elder's Quorum because they always have non-members there and President Bennion gave us the “OK” to play. It was so much fun! It was soooo nice to play again, but MAN! I'm out of shape!  I'm not sure who was in worse shape: the 74-year old guy in our ward who was playing with us or me. Honestly!
Last night a member of our ward showed us his collection of snakes that he keeps in his basement. He has over 30 of them. While I was holding them, I felt like I was a part of the snake-charming church or something. 
 Well I love you guys!! Thank you for everything!   Elder Roderick




 

No comments:

Post a Comment