Wednesday, July 15, 2015

A Lesson on How to SELL the Gospel

Hey, Y'All,                                                                                                     
This week was so great! The Lord is definitely blessing those we are working with! To make it easy on you and me, I'll just start at the beginning of the week and go from there. 
There is a recent convert in our ward named Toombs Smith who is about 70-years old and he has to be one of the funniest men I have ever met. He loves to write poetry and paint and he used to be a really successful door-to-door salesman. So, for District Meeting on Tuesday I asked him to come and provide us with some training on how to be successful salesmen of the gospel and to read us some inspirational poems. It was seriously one of the best trainings, sermons, whatever you want to call it, that I've ever heard! The best part about it though, was the way it influenced HIM. After the meeting, he told us he had prayed to God for opportunities to share his testimony and have an impact on others. Then, the very next day we asked him to give the training. Being able to talk to us seriously made his life! So, we told the bishop about our experience with Toombs and he asked Toombs to give a talk in sacrament meeting next month! Ha Ha! It's going to be so awesome!
Wednesday was transfer day and Elder Detmer and I got a third companion! His name is Elder Bartholomew. He's a great kid! He is from Springville and has been out about 20 months, so Canton will be his last area. This transfer some of my closest friends in the mission went home. It was seriously so weird to see some of the Elders I've known since day 1 take off. At that moment, it finally hit me that I have very little time left! I'm going to miss all those guys but the great part is that I know I'll be seeing them when I get home! They have become some of my best friends. That same day we went to Roswell for Elder Detmer's doctor appointment and while we were there I called the Roswell Elders and found out that they were planning to visit Cleevens, Nina, and Jania! So, I went with them! It was so awesome to see those kids and they are doing great! The same day I also heard some of the best news of my life: Hugues, the 24-year old recent convert in Roswell whom I worked with, decided that he wants to serve a mission!! Ahh… I love that kid so much! When I heard the news, I was freaking out! I'm so excited for him! He has come such a long ways. He and his sister, Fabiola, and her kids, Mauken and Miah, are very special to me.
Elder Roderick says "Goodbye" to Elder Flake
Well, back to Canton.  We finished the week by making some great headway with the Mays family! They are coming along so well! Yesterday at church, Julius was interviewed for the priesthood and he will receive it next Sunday! Also, on Wednesday Joyce asked her boss if she could have work off on Sundays and he said, “yes!” So, now she can come to sacrament meeting and she was there yesterday. On Saturday we had a really good lesson with her where we committed her to start living the word of wisdom and she committed to being baptized on July 25th. While on her front porch, we all got on our knees and she said a silent prayer to Heavenly Father.  She repented and promised Him that she would do her very best to follow all of His commandments. It was amazing to see her humble enough to pray like that and to see her acknowledge the need for change in her life. I love her!! 
             So, it was another great week! I'm just trying to soak it all in while I can. I love these people here in Georgia so much and I'm so grateful for everything that they teach me every day. As the missionary, I'm supposed to be the one teaching them about the gospel, but I feel like I learn more from them than they do from me, and it's because they are changing their lives to follow Jesus Christ. Nothing makes me happier than that. And I definitely know, without a shadow of a doubt, that nothing has made them happier than living the gospel! I see it every day! Have a great week y'all! 
Thanks for everything you do for me!

Love you,
Elder Roderick


No comments:

Post a Comment