Monday, October 14, 2013

Q&A with Elder Roddy!

1. What's the most shocking thing about Georgia?

What isn't shocking about Georgia? It's a different world over here! I would say the most shocking thing for a missionary is all the varieties of religion. There are hundreds of religions here. It makes it really hard as a missionary because asking someone to leave their church is like asking someone to leave their friends. For anyone, the most shocking thing about Georgia is probably the variety of people. Atlanta is a melting pot for the rest of the world. I'll knock on one door and it will be a nice, southern baptist African lady, then the very next door will be a drunk hick with his shirt off smoking who knows what.

2. What do normally eat for breakfast and lunch? I'm assuming your always have a member bring you dinner or are going to their home.
 
For breakfast I usually have cereal, pop tarts, waffles, and bananas. For lunch we'll either eat out or have pizza, top raman and chicken, sandwiches, or leftovers. We pretty much eat at a member's house for dinner every night. 

3. Is your apartment in a big apartment complex? 
Yes. 

4. Besides Pday, what is the thing you look forward to during your week?

Sleeping. Just kidding (but really...you're exhausted every night.) I would say the thing I look forward to the most is getting mail (haha) and teaching investigators. My persistent attitude makes it so I'm always wanting to teach people and make commitments with them at all times. 

5. What's the best teaching/spritual experience you've had up to this point in your mission?

The best experience(s) I've had by far have been teaching Susan. She's someone who God has literally prepared for the last 10 years for us to knock on her door, and she went from saying "there's no way in hell I'm turning Mormon" to saying "what exactly do I need to do to get baptized?". Every time we teach her she cries because of the Spirit and although she has a very long way to go, she has such a desire for baptism. Meeting her and teaching her has been my favorite thing. You learn to love people on your mission like nothing else...it's a different kind of love and I love that woman!!

6. What have you learned about the church (or the gospel)that you didn't know before? (Or maybe didn't have a great understanding of)

Everything....I never knew how much extra truth there was in the Book of Mormon until you actually have to sit down and study it every day. I learn new things from my companions every day too. I honestly have learned more about the church in these last two months than I have in my entire life. If I had to pick one thing that I've gotten a better understanding of, it would be the Atonement. I never really understood it before like I do now. 

7. Any advice for missionaries getting ready to serve?

Have a testimony that is unbreakable. Being in Georgia and being awakened to all these different types of religions has caused me at times to wonder if there really is only one true church. People will open the door for us and read pages and pages of Anti-Mormon things that unfortunately have caused me to think twice about the church I represent. But as I study it more I learn that our church really is undeniable and is the only one with the fullness. If you have a testimony that can't be broken, then you'll be really successful because missionary work is all about testifying what you know to be true. 

No comments:

Post a Comment