Monday, October 14, 2013

Investigating With a Twist – Using Scissor Hands and a Gun


Knock, Knock "It's the LDS Missionaries. Is anyone home?"

Hey y'all! I hope you're all having an awesome week! This Wednesday I'll be finishing up my first transfer in the field. These six weeks have gone by way too fast! I got a call this morning and found out that I'll be training to be a zone leader in my next area. I guess they want to start us early in the leadership positions around here, so we'll see how it goes!
            This week was awesome! Every day I think that there's no way I can get in another bashing feud with a crazy person but somehow I manage to nonetheless. I should probably stop being so persistent with all these people! Anyway, yesterday we were knocking on some trailers, and we approached a tiny little trailer that had spiders crawling all over the door. After I threw a few of them on my companion, a guy who was about 30 years old finally came to the door. I don't really know how else to say this, but he was as high as a kite. He was literally off in another world.  Before we could even say anything, he started yelling at us about all the things that are wrong with the Mormon Church. I still hadn't said one word before he went inside and came back out with 5 pages of anti-Mormon material that he printed from some random website. He kept saying, "Now let me ask you this!" and ask question after question after question. The problem was this guy was so far off in his world of drugs that we couldn't say more than three words before he told us we were wrong. I tried to ask him his name so we could better communicate with him, and he got mad at me for not answering his first question. I thought Elder Auaea was going to punch him square in the face. I have never laughed so hard on my mission, and I've also never been so mad. There's a reason why they tell us not to bash.  But, I love it because it makes for the best stories!
            Earlier in the week Elder Auaea and I went on an exchange with the District Leader in his area. We had an appointment with one of his investigators that they have been teaching for a while now. The lesson went awesome, and we ended up finally committing the couple to baptism. The next morning, I found Elder Auaea on the roof of the apartment just chillin’. I’m telling you, that kid is crazy. And, I love him! We also had one of our investigators come to church with us this weekend, and he should be getting baptized soon! I'm starting to get the hang of teaching. Sometimes I have no idea what to say so I just sit there and look at my companion until he saves me. But for the most part, I've been able to the hang of it. It may seem like we get baptisms all the time, but the South is dang hard and baptisms are rare. I've been lucky just to be on the tail end of a few of them!
            On Friday, we went and helped one of our investigators clean his basement. He had more crap than anyone I've ever met. In the mix of things, I found a battle-axe, two swords, a loaded gun, and these crazy wolverine knife things. He gave Elder Auaea a knife that he sleeps with now. So, I think we're safe from anyone or anything. I feel bad for the next person that bashes on the little Mormon boys!  
            By the way, I'm not really going to be a zone leader! I would have to take my pants to the dry cleaner if that was true. Today I found out (and this is real) that I'm actually the youngest missionary in the Georgia Atlanta North Mission...and ya probably the most immature too. HOLLA AT YA BOY.

Hope you all are doing well!  Thanks for everything! LOVE Y'ALL.
Elder Roddy

No comments:

Post a Comment