Hey y'all!!!!
This week
in ATL was very...interesting! It was probably the hardest week I've had in the mission field but at the same time it was enjoyable and I still had some great experiences.
The week
started off very slow. We met with Stanley, our most promising investigator (at
the time). He is scheduled to be baptized this Saturday. But yada- yada-yada
long story short, he's not going to get baptized for a while, if at all!
Stanley has some physical disabilities that make it hard for him to read, so he
hasn't even read any of the Book of Mormon and hasn't developed much of a
testimony, which is entirely our fault. So, I wasn't very surprised when he dropped
his baptism, but it was very discouraging nonetheless. After meeting with
Stanley I don't think I said another word the entire day because I was so
mad. My companions and I decided that
we're going to meet with him 3 times a week so we can read with him and
hopefully help him develop a testimony. Whatever happens though, Stanley is “my
man” and he makes my day whenever we go visit him!
This upcoming week looks very
promising. We have a lot of appointments with our investigators and I'll let
you know how they all go!
Halloween in the mission field is
sooooooo crazy!!!!!! Just kidding. It's just like any other day. Ha-ha. Our Mission
President made us stay inside on Halloween night and we couldn't dress up or
anything. However, the ward had a Halloween party on the night before Halloween
and no one ever said anything about costumes on the the night before....right??
So, ten 10 minutes prior to the party, Elder Gilliat and I decided to dress up
as the sister missionaries in our ward. We had nothing to dress up with besides
what was in our apartment. I found an old wig that someone bought at
Walgreens. It looks nothing like a girl
but hey, it worked. Then I took my blue button up shirt and unbuttoned the top
button, then took my bed sheet and made a skirt. It was pretty creative!! I
looked nothing like a girl but the ward got a kick out of it, and I think the
sisters are still mad at us for it. Ha-ha.
Last night we went and knocked on one
of our potential investigator's door. His name is "Freddy J or Sargent
Jones". Freddy J is an ex-marine general and he's a big, straightforward
black dude. He opened the door, stared at us for about 5 seconds then said,
"Now listen boys, now is not a good time. I'm right in the middle of my slicin
and dicin!! (dinner) But, Iisten up. Call me on Wednesday around 15 or 16
hundred (3 or 4 o'clock) and give me a ringer and we'll catch each other on the
block!" Then he shut the door. Ha-ha-ha I was laughing so hard! For those
of you who are wondering what the African Americans are like in
Atlanta....Sargent J will give you a pretty good idea.
Whenever we knock doors, we try to
find the most low-income and humble neighborhoods because the people who live
there are the most receptive. This week when we were knocking, we had about 5
people in a row answer their doors without shirts on. I'm not sure if this is
just how it is in the South or what, but I would rather not see any of those
guys with their shirts off ever again. They could use some P90x ab workouts, to
say the least. In the words of Elder Gilliat, "The poorer the area, the
more optional the shirt." Trust me, it's true!
Have a great week my little children.
Remember God is watching you.....and Satan is too. *don don donnnnnnnn*
Elder Roddy
No comments:
Post a Comment