HEYYYY Y'ALL!!
Hope
everyone's week was great!! I had an incredible week full of miracles and
awesome experiences. Let me tell you about them.
First thing's first. I'M GOING TO BE
A FATHER!!!! Ha Ha. This is missionary slang meaning, “I'm going to be training
a new missionary” and I start on Wednesday. I'm sooooo pregnant right now it's
unbelievable. I'm expecting in the next couple days. I think it'll be
a boy, but you never really know. I guess it's “the blind leading the
blind”...poor kid. Ha Ha. I'm really excited though.
Since I'll
be training, I'm going to be staying in Hickory Flat for 12 more weeks! I'm
really happy about that. So my address is going to stay the same (4105
Walden Crossing Dr. Canton, GA 30115). The mission office has asked us to tell
everyone to send letters and packages to our apartments for the next couple
months because the mail will be so busy from the holidays. So, if you want to
send me a letter, you should send it to my apartment and it would be much
appreciated!
This week we had a miracle. WE HAD A
BAPTISM!!!! SURPISE!!! It was so awesome. Here's the story: I've told you a
little about one of our investigators named Stanley. Stanley was scheduled to be
baptized on November 9th but backed out at the last second because he didn't
really have a testimony and wasn't ready for the commitment. So, we committed
to meeting with him 3-4 times a week to read from the Book of Mormon with him.
In no time, Stanley was reading multiple chapters each night by himself and
confirmed to us that he knew it was true. On Thursday we went to share our
weekly reading with him, and then we extended the date of December 14th for him
to be baptized. He looked at us for a solid 10 seconds, then he said
"Boys....LET'S DO IT." It was awesome! So, we were about to walk out
of his house, and Stanley said, "Now aren't two of you going to be leaving
next week?" We confirmed, “Yes. Elder Gilliat and Elder Auaea will be
transferred next week.” He replied, "Well it looks like I'll just have to
send you a picture of me soaking wet then." My companions and I looked at
each other and we were all thinking the same thing. So, I asked Stanley if he would just like to
be baptized on Saturday instead. He said he didn't care when it was, as long as
it happened! We were so stoked!!
| Elder Gilliat, Elder Auaea, Stanley and Elder Roderick |
So for the
next couple days we did our best to get a program together and let people in
the ward know about the baptism. By Saturday afternoon, we had a good amount of
people there and everything was ready to go. It didn't even matter who showed
up though, because Stanley's great-grandkids surprised him and showed up. I've
never seen anyone so happy! It was the sweetest thing in the world to see this
man, who had been away from his grandkids for a couple months, pick them up and
kiss them on the cheek. I didn't even care what happened after that!! The program
went really well and long-story-short, Stanley was baptized baby!! Since
Stanley has back problems and other physical conditions, all three of us had to
get in the water and help him down and out of the water. That was a really neat
experience too. The next day Stanley was confirmed and given the gift of the
Holy Ghost. The last two days have been some of the happiest days of my entire life!!
With his
long, gray beard and hair, and a house full of boxes and cluttered junk,
Stanley is someone who I never would have approached and talked to if I wasn't
a missionary. In fact, three or four months ago I probably would have avoided
his presence. But, being a missionary gives you the opportunity to talk to
everyone, and because of that, I was able to meet Stanley and he has become one
of my newest and best friends. I've spent hourssss getting to know him and talking
with him, and I’ve found that there isn't a kinder, more tenderhearted man in
the world! This experience has opened my eyes to the realization that there are
so many people we can connect with, but we never find them if we are afraid to
get out of our comfort zone and talk to others. This week, I challenge each of
you to try and talk to someone you normally wouldn't. Just try to be their
FRIEND! You'll be surprised by how many amazing people there are in the world. They
need you in their life, and you need them in yours.
I hope you all have an amazing
Thanksgiving! I'm thankful for each of you!! Eat lots!
LOVE Y'ALL!!!
Elder Roderick
No comments:
Post a Comment