Monday, January 6, 2014

The New Year brings a SWING, a SONG and a SLAM DUNK!

Elder Roderick welcomes the New Year with a SWING, a SONG and a SLAM DUNK.  View his latest adventures by clicking the link below:


HEY Y'ALL!!!!

Happy New Year!! I hope you all had an awesome week! My week in Hickory Flat was so amazing. We had transfer calls today and I found out I'll be staying here for six more weeks to finish training Elder Pena. I don't know what I'm going to do when I have to leave this ward! The members have become like my family and I can't imagine serving in another area. I guess that's what the experience is all about though. Also, apparently my Mission President will put anyone in a leadership position because until I get transferred I'm going to be a District Leader. This poor, helpless district...Lord help them all!!
            The New Year started out right because I've never been so busy during my mission! This week we visited a million people and we were able to make a ton of return appointments for the upcoming week. We’ve been working so hard that sometimes during the last half hour of the night Elder Pena and I will be headed to an appointment and I feel like I'm going to pass out because I'm so tired! Kinda like Lehi when he passes out from feeling the spirit so much except, I'm not really a prophet or anything.
            We had some promising lessons and contacts this week! Our top investigator Max will be getting baptized on January 25th! We thought we were going to have some trouble because he lived with his girlfriend, but it turns out they are married. Ha Ha. Don't ask questions. It's "complicated." Okay? They came to church with us this week and it was great! However, during the sacrament hymn the power went out. Ha Ha. It stayed dark the entire time they were blessing and passing the sacrament. I can't imagine what they were thinking. I had to assure them that it wasn't planned. Mormons seem weird, I know, but not that weird!                                       We also had some interesting contacts with some random people. Sometimes during my conversations with people I forget that I’m the “missionary” because they end up trying to convert me to their church. For example, we bashed with a guy who graduated from Oxford with a major in theology.... Now, that was fun.   And, I’ve gathered pamphlets and all sorts of invitations to different churches.   I consider these conversations the perfect opportunity to get the full southern experience!    On Thursday it snowed here in Georgia for the first time in three years! It also snowed a little this morning. When I say “snow”, I mean ten little snowflakes falling from the sky and disintegrating in mid-air. Nonetheless, school is canceled for the next two days. What's up with that?
            In other noteworthy Georgian news, I witnessed a pig dying because it had been hit by a car 10 seconds earlier.  That should tell you a lot about where I'm serving. Gotta love Georgia baby!
            If I had to choose the main things that I've learned so far on my mission, it would be patience and humility. Day in and day out I am humbled to be doing the work of the Lord. I have the unique opportunity to talk to everyone and hear their life story and witness their situations. I’ve realized just how blessed I am because I have a loving and supportive family and a group of friends on whom I rely.  There are so many people who are alone and depressed and need the gospel more than ever, and it's humbling to know that it's my job to bring it to them. The knowledge that the LDS Church has is incomparable and it can solve every problem. If only more people would listen!! Unfortunately, it's easier said than done. I've also been blessed to work with two companions who have come from some rough backgrounds and don't have near the resources or support that I do.  As I try to adjust to their needs and abilities, I’ve been required to be very patient, but I learn from them every single day. Basically, I hope you realize how blessed you are!! That's something I always took for granted.
            People, the Church is true. See you in two. I mean nineteen months. Who's counting though? I LOVE IT HERE!!!

Have a great week Y'ALLLLLLLLL.

Elder Roddy





No comments:

Post a Comment