Monday, January 27, 2014

The Power of the Priesthood, Hastening the Work and Becoming a Better Person Each Day

Hey guys,

We had an awesome week!! It was definitely a lot better than last week.  As always, it was full of ups and downs but I've just learned to expect that becauseI know that nothing comes easy in the mission field.
On Tuesday it actually snowed again! It was soooo cold at the beginning of the week and the weather is just recently starting to get warmer.  Seriously, though, it was miserable to go outside. Every night when I got home it took about 20 minutes before I could feel my ears again. Ha Ha.
We had inspiring experiences this week! We had the opportunity to give Kenny, the investigator who I've told you guys about, a blessing.  Satan has really been hitting him hard and Kenny has been having a lot of trouble with some of the things he saw and experienced in his past. Elder Pena gave him one of the most incredible blessings I've ever heard and the Spirit was so strong. By the time it was over Kenny was just bawling because he felt so much better!  A few days following his blessing, we visited Kenny again and the difference in his countenance was like night and day. He asked us how we were able to “do that” and make him feel so much better. We told him that we didn't do anything. It was the Lord! He looked at us and said, "You know what...you're right. It had to be Him because two boys couldn't possibly make me feel the way that I did.” That was pretty amazing to hear! The power of the Priesthood is REAL!!
            After backing out of his baptism, we've really been focusing on Max and trying to help him progress. The reality is, Max wasn't ready to make the commitment of baptism and the last thing we want is for him to get baptized and never come to church again. The good news is he's very motivated to find out for himself if the church is where he wants to be and he genuinely wants to meet with us. Hopefully some miracles will happen soon!
            For the past couple weeks, Elder Pena and I have been planning a "mini mission" for the youth in our ward. Last night, they all came to the ward and were surprised to receive mission calls, including personalized nametags, and companions. We split them into groups and role-played a little "MTC experience”. The ward members taught them about the area where they were called to serve and we taught them how to teach the first discussion. This week at school they are wearing their nametags and carrying a Book of Mormon around with them.  When it comes to missionary work, the dedication and excitement of these kids is amazing!! When they come back for youth night on Thursday, we are going to have fake investigators (ward members) for each companionship to teach. The mini mission idea has motivated our entire ward to get busy with missionary work and they’ve even been asking us for Book of Mormons to share with their friends.  Because of their help, we’ve been able to set up appointments with many of the ward members’ non-member friends. The plea from the First Presidency to “hasten the work” is getting everyone excited, which should result in a lot of success for the missionaries!!
I just want to let you all know how much I appreciate the love and support that each of you give me! I was reading in the scriptures this week about Amulek and how because he was preaching the gospel, he was literally betrayed by all of his friends, each of his children, and even his dad. I thought about what I would do if that happened to me.  To be honest I'm not sure I would be able to keep going every day, especially when the times get tough! Thank you all for motivating me to be a better person every day! I hope I can do the same for you.

Have a great week y'all!!! SO LONG SUCKAS.


Elder Roddy

No comments:

Post a Comment