Monday, June 23, 2014

“Giddy-Up” BIRTHDAY BOY!

HEY Y'ALL!                                                                                                    

How are you doing?? I hope you are enjoying your summer. My life in the ATL is so great! I'm loving every minute of my mission.
Elders in the Grayson Zone
Well, this week was eventful, as always! It's getting soooo hot down here. I have good news, though. I'm staying in Grayson with Elder Flake for another transfer. This means that not only do I get to remain in a place that I love, with an awesome companion; I'm still able to drive around in a car.  By the time my six-week stay is over, it'll be August and I'll be approaching my one-year mark. So, I will have been in two areas for the entire first year of my mission. Crazy stuff! I'm so happy Elder Flake and I are staying together. I believe that during this transfer we will see some amazing things happen and I'm super excited to serve as a zone leader when President Bennion arrives, which is this FRIDAY. Holy moly.
On Tuesday I was on exchange with one of the Assistants and we taught one of his investigators who just got baptized on Sunday. She was having a really tough day and Satan seemed to be hitting her from all angles. So we borrowed her iPad and pulled up a Mormon Message that spoke about peace through the Atonement. It was such an inspiring video and while we watched it, the Spirit filled the room. After the video we each testified to her of the power of the Atonement and the ability it has to cleanse us from sin and let us feel the love of the Savior in our lives. At the end of our lesson she was a completely different person than when we walked through her door. Since I’ve been serving, I’ve gained a huge testimony of the Atonement and I know it can impact each of our lives!
Elder Roderick with the King and Dustin families
On Wednesday my friends from Hickory Flat, the Kings and the Dustins, came down to Lilburn for dinnerrrr!!! I loved seeing them so much! They took us to Texas Roadhouse, which is Elder Flake's favorite place in the world, so he was in heaven. It was so much fun to catch up with them and laugh together. I swear those people are like my family. It's just a testimony to me that God puts us in the areas where he knows we can make the greatest impact AND where we can be impacted the most as well. While we were at dinner they told the waitress that it was my birthday. I don't know if you've ever been to Texas Roadhouse on your birthday but it’s quite an experience.  The staff brought out a little saddle, made me sit on it, and remain sitting there while the ENTIRE restaurant listened to the waiters and waitresses serenade me with some cowboy song. Ha-ha. I was so embarrassed but I put up with it because it was really just so funny! 
On Thursday we went on an exchange with the Lilburn Elders (not the APs) so I was on my bike for the day, and let's just say that God knew to keep me in a car because I would literally DIE out here on a bike. I was dripping in sweat from head to toe in less than ten minutes. Ha-ha.  Then that evening, we had a really cool experience with Emoy, Kamari, and Aaysia. We finished teaching them the Law of Chastity, which they all understood, and we were able to teach them about covenants and how important they are to make. Of course the discussion came to the topic of baptism, and Emoy asked us, "Well what would be the next step for us AFTER baptism?" Part of me was thinking, “Well, let's just focus on the first step.” But, we started teaching them about temples and the sealing power of the priesthood that allows us to be with our families forever. It was really cool to see the way the Spirit touched their hearts and helped it ring true to them. At the end of the lesson, Emoy told us that she would be more than happy to allow her kids to get baptized, even if she couldn't right now. Kamari and Aaysia just grinned. This week we plan to extend a baptism date to them, so wish us luck! They have come SO far. It's truly amazing. 
Tim & Vanessa Bronkema with Elder Roderick 
Well, Friday was someone's birthday. Just kidding. “Thank you” to everyone for the love and support you showed me. It was amazing! It definitely made me feel like the most loved missionary in the world. My birthday was so awesome! I mean obviously it was still a normal day, but for lunch the senior couples, the APs, and some other Elders took us to lunch! We piled in this huge fan and all went to Outback Steakhouse, so I enjoyed my second steak of the week.  Yah, Baby!  Then that night we went to the Bronkemas for dinner and it was so much fun. Wow! I love them so much! It has been so rewarding to get to know them. From the first time I met them, we just clicked and they've been like parents to me. Being in their home was such a fun way to spend my birthday evening. I love the South because I’ve been blessed to meet people like the Bronkemas who love the Savior and His light shows through them!  
Elder Roderick with friends from Grayson Ward in Lilburn, GA
It's going to be awkward going back to church next Sunday because I told everyone in the ward that I was leaving. So, that should be fun. “Surprise! I’m still here.” Ha-ha. I guess that's a good kind of awkward though. I'm loving it in Lilburn! Thank you for your support. I love you so much! Have an amazing week.


Elder Roddy

No comments:

Post a Comment