Monday, June 16, 2014

"IS ANYONE HOMEEE?"

Hey Peeps!                                                                                                     

How are my favorite people?? I miss you guys so much but, as usual, my week in ATL was amazing! The weather finally cooled down a bit and it actually rained a lot, which I love!
Grayson Zone Atlanta North Mission
I am having so much fun right now. On Tuesday, we started off the week with our Zone Training Meeting. This is my third training meeting, all of which I’ve conducted with Elder Flake. I'll never forget the first one we were in charge of when we had NO idea about what was going on or how to train. However, by the time this week’s training rolled around we were both so excited for it and I really have learned to love training in front of everyone. The meeting was great. I love our zone so much! We told each of the missionaries to bring a pair of cheap imitation Ray Ban glasses and afterwards we took a picture of the entire zone posing in them. I think mine are the best because they aren't just glasses. Can you find me?
            The next day I went on exchange with Elder Schaertl (pronounced like turtle...which is what I call him). We had so much fun together! Before dinner we were knocking on doors and we ended up standing on a guy’s porch, having a productive conversation about prophets and why we need one today. Well naturally, I was really getting into it and when I get lost in my discussions I tend to forget about my companion. Oops.  So, during the conversation it started to rain REALLLYY hard, and then, right in the middle of the conversation I remembered Elder Schaertl.  I turned around and found him standing behind me, drenched in rain, because there wasn't enough room for both of us on this guy’s porch. After we left I said, “Dude. Why didn't you say anything!?  His brief reply was, "It's okay Elder Roderick I'll take the sacrifice. "What a good kid!
            So, I'm horrible at updating you on all of our investigators and I'M SORRY I just get caught up in sharing the funny things we do throughout the week. Anyway, for the past couple months we've been teaching a boy in our ward's girlfriend, Kaitlyn. We meet with Kaitlyn and her boyfriend’s entire member family (the Angells) once a week and lately we've started teaching her with them twice a week. At first we were hesitant to teach her because we didn't want it to be one of those situations where the investigator gets baptized just for her boyfriend. But, with Kaitlyn, our teaching and her acceptance have gone much better than we expected! She is really interested in all the lessons and asks the best questions. I think she's come to church every week for the past eight weeks. Last night she commented on how much she loves learning with the Angell family and us because it makes her feel so good and that she knows everything we teach her is true. She always says things such as, "When I'm Mormon…" and "Once I'm baptized…" The problem is she probably can't get baptized until she's eighteen. Her parents are fine with her meeting with us, but they won't let her get baptized until she is an adult. It'll happen eventually though!
            This week we finally taught Emoy, Kamari and Aaysia the Law of Chasity, which is the lesson we were dreading because Emoy lives with her boyfriend, Brandon. We taught some of it on Thursday, and then Elder Flake and a greenie taught her the rest of it on Saturday. They said she took it really well and they also used it as an opportunity to teach Kamari and Aaysia about an important principle of the gospel. Even so, the whole situation is rough because I think she was about to make the decision to be baptized, but now that she knows she can't do it until she makes a change in her lifestyle, it'll obviously hold things up. We're just hoping that the kids can still progress and make the decision to be baptized very soon!
            On another afternoon this week, the funniest thing happened while we were on a split with a member of our ward, Brother Grimsley. It was one of those things where you had to be there to experience it, but hopefully I can help you capture the humor. We were going around visiting some members whose records we have, but that we’ve never met or who don’t go to church.  Since we were trying to contact people in the middle of the afternoon, of course no one was home. At the last house, we were standing on the porch and Brother Grimsley kept debating with himself about whether he thought someone lived there or not. You probably should know that Brother Grimsley is a high school teacher and talks more than anyone I've ever met. He is completely bald and grows a nice brown beard. So anyway, we were on the porch and Brother Grimsley has his ear to the door and is listening to hear if anyone inside, all while talking to himself about their "lack of yard management." Then all the sudden HE STARTS BANGING HIS HEAD ON THE DOOR and yelling, "IS ANYONE HOMEEE?"  Literally, I was DYING. I don't know if it's the heat or something in the Georgia water but every – single - day I'm amazed at the originality of these people!
            I’ll share one more cool experience then I have to sign off. On Saturday we were tracting, and the street we were knocking on was pretty empty and no one seemed to be there. There were several times where Elder Flake and I talked about going somewhere else, but the Spirit kept telling us that despite the fact we hadn't talked to many people, we needed to stay on this street.  At one of the last houses on the street, a Jamaican guy named Levi Brown opened the door with two of his children. We introduced ourselves and we felt prompted to leave a harvest blessing on his home. He immediately let us in and we were able to leave the blessing with them and get a return appointment with their family for tomorrow. They said we came at a perfect time because each of them were struggling and needed something good to happen. It was really cool to see the way the Spirit led us to them and how they had been prepared for us to come that day! They mentioned they had had Elders in their home before.
            This upcoming week we are taking in another Elder because his companion got his Visa and is headed to Brazil. So, that means we will be covering two areas and going to both churches and everything. It should be crazy, but fun. I'm lovin’ it in ATL! Thank you guys for everything! I love you so much! Have a great week!

Elder Roddy


P.S. Happy Birthday Day to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment