Monday, August 4, 2014

Off to the HILLS


Hey Y'all!                                                                                                       

So, I've heard from President Bennion, multiple times this week, as well as the Assistants, and it turns out I'm being transferred! I am no longer a zone leader and instead I'll be training again and opening up an apartment where some senior missionaries used to live. So, that means we're “white washing”! The best part of the move is that WE ARE IN THE BOONIES BABY. We're going to the Cornelia Ward, which is wayyyy up in the northeast in the mountains. I am so excited! I've heard great things about the ward and the area. The bishop is really focused on missionary worked so he's called approximately fifteen ward missionaries and I'm going to be doing a lot of member missionary work. Now, do you want to hear something crazy? In Hickory Flat I became friends with the Ashment family and they are really, really cool. Well, it turns out that Sister Ashment is the daughter of the Mills, a hilarious older couple in the Grayson ward, and the Ashments recently moved in with them. So, I've been able to hang out with them again! But that's not the good part. It turns out that the Mill's OTHER family members are in the Cornelia Ward! So, in ALL three of the areas in which I’ve served, I've had contact with a member of their family! Crazy huh? 
Thanksgiving PIE FIGHT with Josh Dustin. 
And, guess who else is in the Cornelia ward? Greg Dustin's brother, Josh! THE DUDE I DID THE PIE IN THE FACE THING WITH AT THANKSGIVING! YES! It's going to be great! I can't wait to eat squirrel and possum and all that good, juicy stuff they eat in the hills. Mmmmmmm.
Speaking of food, you’ll never guess what I had for lunch on Saturday - ALLIGATOR. Yes sir! Some people we were teaching served it to us and it was - interesting! I actually thought it was pretty good but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat it again or anything crazy like that. But, now I can say I have eaten some ‘gator!
We had some great miracles this week! On Tuesday during our personal study time coincidently Elder Flake and both studied about Ammon teaching King Lamoni. So, we shared some solid companion study time about how to approach non-Christians (even though it's super rare to find them in Georgia). I remember thinking to myself, "Well, I hope this comes in handy at least once on my mission." It turns out that on that very afternoon we were knocking doors and met a guy named Chong Chard, who was raised Buddhist. We started talking to him and asking questions similar to those that Ammon and King Lamoni discusssed. Eventually, Chong invited us into his home. We taught him and his son about the Plan of Salvation from the Book of Mormon and by the end of the lesson he loved what we had to say and asked us to come back and read with the rest of his family. It was really cool to see the way our studies directly effected our teaching that day and how it paid off! 
On Thursday I also had an awesome experience while I was on an exchange with Elder Price. We had an appointment with one of our investigators, Stanley, who was supposed to be praying for his baptismal date. We took a member with us, but Stanley wasn't home. So, we visited some other families then, the member dropped us off. We had about an hour before dinner and for some reason I had the strongest impression to go back to Stanley's house, even though we were just there less than an hour ago. So we went back, and sure enough Stanley had just woken up from a nap and he let us in. He had prayed about his baptism date and decided that September 6th was the date for him! He came to church yesterday and is doing great! It was a really neat to see what happens when you follow the Spirit, no matter how crazy it seems! I'm excited to hear about the results of Stanley’s plan to be baptized!
Elder Flake, Aaysia and Elder Roderick
The highlight of the week was Aaysia's baptism on Saturday. Oh my! That precious little girl was so ready to be baptized! It was just incredible! Seriously, she is the smartest ten year-old I've ever met. She just eats up everything we teach her and then she turns around and teaches it perfectly to her mom. Her baptism took place with two other eight year-olds. So, the entire program was focused on the kids and it was beautiful! It was the perfect way to end my time in Grayson!
I'm really going to miss Loganville and the members of the Grayson ward. I had to say “Goodbye” to a ton of families yesterday, and man, it was hard! But, I'm super grateful for the opportunity I’ve had to serve in the area and I will definitely come back to visit all of the people I’ve grown to love in Grayson!

This is my new address:

102 Georgetown Court
Cornelia, GA 30531


I love you guys! Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment