Hello Loved Ones,
| Elder Roderick's final zone meeting in Grayson. |
It's been
a very interesting week! On Wednesday I said goodbye to Grayson Ward and the
city of Loganville. Oh man, it was hard! There are seriously so many families I
love in that area and I'm going to miss them all so much! I'll be back in no
time to visit though! I'm so grateful for the six months I was able to serve
there and for the people I was able to meet!
On Wednesday I met my new companion, Elder Larsen. He's from Spanish Fork and he's a great kid! I'm really excited to train him and to serve in Cornelia together! I picked him up at the mission home and told him where we were going, then we drove...and drove....and drove until we finally arrived in Cornelia, Georgia! Oh man! It's another world up here! It's completely the opposite from Grayson. Seriously, it's the straight-up boonies! I'm living with the mountain men and hood rats and everything around us is old and sooo country! Our area is huge. In fact, it covers four counties. The ward is great and everyone is super old and loving. I feel like I'm just chillin’ with a bunch of grandmas every Sunday (probably because I am). Elder Larsen and I have been trying to adjust and figure out how we're going to make everything work. It's going to be a great learning opportunity because the ward is really inexperienced with member missionary work and the ward mission leader is basically asking me and another missionary, Elder Anderson (he’s been out 19 months), how to do everything. We tell him what works and he say, "Alright we'll do it!" So, it'll be fun to see the way everything comes together and we're really looking forward to helping the church expand in Cornelia.
| In the far north hills of Georgia, you'll find Cornelia. Population 4,100 people. |
The best
experience of the week, by far, came on Thursday night. We drove into the woods of Cornelia and found
this little old church named, Sacred Grove Baptist Church. A crowd of people was walking into a service
and they encouraged, "Come on boys. It's the final night of Revival! Y'all
gotta come!" So…. we joined them! Try to picture a classic, Southern
Baptist church where the black people are singing, waving their arms and
yelling "Amen!" That is exactly what Sacred Grove Baptist Church was
like! The preacher went on some crazy rants and the congregation chimed in,
"Yup! C'mon! Amen!" Every three seconds they shouted approvals and
then out of nowhere a lady hopped on the piano and the preacher started singing
and before I knew it, the entire congregation was breaking out into song
together! I couldn't stop laughing! It was truly so classic!
You know
you're in the boonies when you're walking down the street with your greenie and
the poor kid asks, "Wait! Elder, is that a dog or a goat in the
backyard?" Oh my!
The mission office can't forward mail anymore, so mail has to
be sent straight to my apartment. Here's the address:
102 Georgetown
Ct.
Cornelia, GA
30531
I love you all!
Thank you for everything. Have a great week.
Signing off from
the back hills,
Elder Roddy
No comments:
Post a Comment