Monday, January 5, 2015

Everything to be GRATEFUL for

HAPPY 2015!                                                                            

On the 2015 menu: SQUIRREL
Jeez, 2015! That's so crazy! I can't believe I'm heading into the last year of my mission. It's definitely bittersweet and I'm going to make it count! Well, this week was great, as usual. I started the New Year in the best way by eating squirrel. Yup! Our Elder's Quorum President fed it to us and it was actually pretty good! I was joking around with him at church and said, "Hey, Are you going to feed us squirrel, or what? I'll shoot one if you cook it.”  Then, when we went to his house for dinner it was sitting there on the table! So, I can cross that one off the list. Tastes like chicken! 
 I had an interview with President Bennion on Friday and he told me I'm going to be transferred on the 21st. I was very surprised because transfers aren't for a couple of weeks and I was expecting to finish training Elder Johnson. But, President said he always intended to transfer me this transfer because he's "got a new assignment for me." So, we'll see what happens.
Well, we had a tender mercy from the Lord this week. We're having a baptism on Saturday! It's for an investigator, Barry Odis, who moved into our ward from another area. He already had the date for baptism so we're just going to prepare him a little bit and provide the baptismal interview. It should be good! I guess after having so many people get so close to baptism in Cornelia this is our tender mercy from the Lord! So we're excited! This week we were also able to teach Emily, Robin's 8 year old granddaughter, and she told us that she wants to be baptized too! Ha. Ha! She's such a cute little girl. (Probably the second cutest Emily I know.) So, she'll be getting baptized at the end of the month! I won't be here to experience it but, that's okay!
Speaking of Robin, she is doing so well! Guess what? She bore her testimony in sacrament meeting yesterday. It was crazy!! She talked about how she found her way back to the church and how she literally didn't remember any doctrine other than that Latter Day Saints have temples.  Then, she said that as we've been re-teaching her about all the doctrine and since she's been praying about it, she KNOWS that the church is true. It's been really cool to teach her because it's been just like teaching an investigator because she didn't remember anything. I've literally watched the Holy Ghost bring everything back to her remembrance and tell her that it's true. Her fiancé Jeff also came to church yesterday! It was actually pretty cool because he works every single day and last week he was supposed to come to church because it was his only Sunday off in the year. However, Robin got sick and he wasn't able to come, and we were all really bummed about it. So, yesterday he was on his way to work, and when he got there it was raining so hard that they told him to turn around and go home. So, he got to come this week instead. It was crazy!
I think the best part of my week was a little experience we had on Thursday night. We were knocking doors before dinner and we’d been at it for about an hour when we decided to knock on one last door. (Of course, this is the house that lets us inside. God seems to do that a lot. ) Anyway, the man who let us in (he was probably in his 60s) appeared like he couldn't move the left side of his body very well. We found out that he had had five strokes throughout his lifetime and it had messed him up pretty bad. We ended up reading some scriptures with him about the resurrection and the Atonement and tried to help him find some hope through Christ. What amazed me most about this man is that despite his physical limitations, he was one of the most positive people I've ever met! Instead of complaining to the Lord about his strokes, he told us over and over again how blessed he was just to be alive and to have his wife to take care of him. His words really spoke to me and helped me realize that we never really have much to complain about, but we ALWAYS have everything to be GRATEFUL for. I love the South because every single day I have the privilege of meeting people like this man who have faith in Jesus Christ and show it better than I ever hope to. Experiences like this makes being a missionary easy and provide me with something to look forward to every day!
Well, I love you guys and I'm thankful for everything you do for me! Have a great week!   Talk to you soon!

Elder Roddy


No comments:

Post a Comment