Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Chicken Legs

Hey there, Y'All!                                                                                         

I hope y'all had a great week! Summer is officially over in Georgia and all the kiddos are heading back to school. So, enjoy the last few weeks of summer while you can. I know I am! This week was pretty steady and consistent; no crazy, jaw-dropping experiences. Except, I rode a bike this week and that's a jaw-dropper. More about that later.
This week we have been focusing our efforts on Weena Riddle, the friend of the Mays Family. I love her so much! She has an amazing desire to change her life. We had some really powerful lessons with her. She was brought to tears when she learned that she lived with Heavenly Father before she came to earth, and that she and all of her children chose to follow Jesus Christ before they came here. That was a really touching experience. She said, “Well, if I've done it once, I can do it again!" We had a tender mercy with her as well. She was expecting to work all week, and therefore miss church, so we moved her baptism date from the 15th to the 22nd.  However, on Tuesday night we got a text from her saying that she would be able to come to church! She told us that as soon as her boss heard she was moving in with the Mays family and would be working at a different Waffle House location, he kicked her out of his family's house (where she had been living) and took her work schedule away, right there on the spot. So, although her move and change of work was a little sooner and more difficult than expected, I definitely know the Lord was behind it. She was able to come to church this week and she loved it! She also texted us this morning, and said that she got a job at the same Waffle House where Julius and Joyce are working. She said her schedule has her off this Sunday and as far as she knows, EVERY Sunday! So, her baptism date is still set for the 15th.  Now there are four Mormons living in the Mays’s apartment and three of them work at the same Waffle House. HA! That's Georgia at its finest right there.
This week one of our investigators, Todd, was going to drop us, but then he decided to stick with us instead. So, listen to this hilarious story: We learned that before the lesson, where Todd was planning to drop us, he called the Missionary Department at the Church Headquarters in Salt Lake and asked for advice about how he should stop seeing us without hurting our feelings. When I heard that, I died. Who does that? What a guy! If all people were as considerate as Todd is to the Mormon missionaries, this world would be a better place.
Stanley and Elder Roderick 
Like I mentioned before, I was on bike for a couple days this week. I went to my old stomping grounds in Hickory Flat on an exchange with Elder Oyler.  I was reminded why the Lord hasn’t placed me in a bike area on my mission....these chicken legs ain't made for that. I was huffin’ and puffin’ the whole time. We had a lesson with my man, Stanley! Ha ha! The guy hasn't changed a bit. His house, his beard, it's all the same. He just started taking a temple preparation class so he can go through the temple! It was a great experience for me to be able to teach him again. It's crazy to think that his was the first door I knocked on my mission.
Well I love y'all! Time is flying by! I can't believe it's August, and therefore, the final month of my mission! I guess that means I'll see you guys soon! I can't wait!

Love you!

Elder Roderick

No comments:

Post a Comment