Monday, August 24, 2015

THE END!

Well Folks,                                                                                                

This is it! It's all come to an end! Two years are done and I can't believe it! It's hard for me to think about leaving all these people I have come to love so much. But before any sob stories, let me tell you about my final week!
Weena's baptism
We saw so many miracles. I felt like the Lord spoiled me during my last week in the field. We met three people who are less-active members of the church but aren't on our records. It was like we were just instruments in the Lord's hands when we were led to them. He just put us right where we needed to be. The highlight of the week, most definitely, was Weena's baptism on Saturday! I love that lady so much! The light of Christ was beaming from her. She practically cried the entire time and the Spirit was so strong. The service was short and sweet, just how it should be. I feel so grateful and humbled that I was able to have that experience on the final weekend of my mission. The blessings of a mission are priceless!
I have learned so much over the last two years of my life! I've learned that okra is better fried than boiled, and I've learned that squirrel isn't good fried OR boiled. I've learned that football is a religion and chicken can be cooked a million different ways. I've learned that no matter how much food I eat, I'll always be skinny. I've learned that you should never forget to fill the baptismal font before a baptism, or forget to tell your convert to bring a change of underwear. I've learned from billboards and bumper stickers that Jesus loves me and He's coming soon. I've learned from those around me that the South will rise again and Robert E. Lee is in charge of the government in heaven. I've learned that not everyone wants a message about Jesus Christ, but hey, at least they'll pray for my soul. And sadly from experience, I've learned that road kill doesn't smell good or sound good when you run over it with your bike.
All joking aside, I've learned the South truly has the nicest people in the world. I've learned that prayers can be said at any time, in any place, under any circumstances. God loves each of His children despite their beliefs, culture, or nationality. He has a plan for each of us and knows us each by name. I know that when we lose our lives for the Savior, He will help us find it, but it will be in His way and in His time. I know I'm truly the happiest when I stop focusing on myself and turn to the needs others. I've learned that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is simple. As we keep the commandments and do what Christ would do, we can become clean through His Atonement and live with our Father in Heaven again with our families forever. The Book of Mormon is the word of God, and I'm not afraid to tell that to anyone. It is where the foundation of my testimony lies and it always will be. Joseph Smith was and is a prophet of God, and I know as sure as anything that President Monson is a prophet of God today. I'm the perfect example of an imperfect person, but thankfully the Lord uses imperfect people to guide His perfect church. I've felt His hand in my life time and time again and I'll always be grateful for the companionship He gives me through the Holy Ghost. I know that becoming one of those annoying Mormon Missionaries who won't go away was the best decision I have made up to this point in my life!
I know now why they say a mission is “the best two years.” The memories I have made are priceless. I wouldn't trade them for anything in the world. These experiences I've had, both good and bad, are so special to me and I'm beyond grateful that Heavenly Father allowed me to have them. They have made me a better person. I'm so grateful to each of you for supporting me and helping me have such an amazing experience. I'll always be grateful for your encouragement and examples!
As for the rest, "I trust I shall shortly see thee, and we shall speak face to face" (3 John 1:14). "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith" (2 Timothy 4:7).

I love y'all!

The End.

Elder Roderick


No comments:

Post a Comment