Monday, May 19, 2014

An Instrument in God's Hands

HEY Y'ALL!                                                                                                    

It was a great week here in the Grayson area of ATL! Every week in the mission field is just amazing. We see miracles every day and I love witnessing how the gospel helps people change for the best. There's nothing better!
The work was kind of slow this week and I don't have much time to write today, but I want to share a lesson I learned from a member of our ward, Brother Watkins. On Wednesday afternoon Brother Watkins went with Elder Flake and me to teach one of our investigators named Oliver. Oliver is Jamaican and he can be very frustrating to teach because he doesn't believe anything we tell him unless it's straight out of the Bible. We taught him for probably an hour and a half that afternoon and I walked out of there feeling like we hadn't really accomplished much. When we were in the car Brother Watkins asked us how we were feeling and both Elder Flake and I expressed how frustrated we were. Brother Watkins said "Ya, I can see that. But I want to tell you why you should never be frustrated about a lesson or any of the work you are doing." He proceeded to tell us a story about his grandpa. Just to give you a little background story, Brother Watkin's parents are converts to the church and his grandparents weren’t members. In his immediate family, Brother Watkins and his parents were the only ones who were active in the church during the time when his grandpa was nearing his death. Right before his grandpa died, he shot out of bed and basically begged Brother Watkins to take him to the Salt Lake Temple because he had known all along that the gospel was true. However he didn't realize how important it actually was until he was so close to death. Brother Watkins went on to tell us that there had been many opportunities for his grandpa to join the church and there were a lot of people who influenced him and helped his testimony grow. There is a lot more to the story that I'm not including, but Brother Watkins told us this story so that we could understand that it's not always the right time for everyone to accept the gospel while we're teaching them.
Oliver is one of the most curious investigators I've taught so far. I can tell that he knows what we teach him is true because it makes him uncomfortable.  Even though he is troubled, he continues to grow and continues to want more. From him I’ve learned there is truth in the phrase, "There is no growth in comfort and no comfort in growth." From Brother Watkins I also learned that although people like Oliver might not be ready NOW to accept the gospel, we never know what the Lord's timetable is or how He is preparing his children to accept the fullness of His gospel. I really believe that Oliver will join the church some day, but it's going to take time. I’ve always known that as a missionary I am an instrument in God’s hand and that it’s my job to deliver the message He has prepared.  It’s not my job, however, to dictate when, if at all, his children will accept the truth.  My experience with Oliver has helped me live and completely understand this truth. In addition, the lesson I learned from Brother Watkins is that missionary work isn’t always about numbers and what others see as successful. It's about helping others along the path of their of personal progression which includes guiding them toward gaining a testimony.  I've come to learn that I really couldn't care less how often I baptize or who I baptize.  What I do care about is all of the lives I touch every day in one way or another. 
I don't know why I wanted to share this story. I do know, however, that I’m learning to be more humble, patient and grateful every single day.  I love each of you and am so grateful for your support! Have a great week y'all!

Elder Roddy


P.S.  Make Mother’s Day a month long celebration.  Go to church and make her happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment