Monday, May 5, 2014

The Power of Fasting and Prayer

HEYYY Y'ALL!!!                                                                                             

Well it was another great week here in Georgia! I swear, I love this place more and more every day! The people are amazing and there's nothing like hearing someone cuss at you in their southern twang and using "y'all" every other word while they're doing it. Gotta love the South baby!
            We had an amazing week! On Sunday, I had a really cool experience I’d like to share with you. I decided to fast to find a new investigator who Elder Flake and I could start teaching, because we really needed one and we have been struggling to find them all week long. So, I fasted for it and all during church I just felt like it was going to happen. After church Elder Flake and I were driving home to do our weekly planning before going to an appointment, and I don't know why but I felt prompted to look at him and say, "Dude, forget the planning I feel like we need to go follow up with some people right now." He didn't argue, so we stopped by this neighborhood right by the church where we had tracted a few days earlier. While there, we met a lady named Robin Massey, and at the time we were talking to her she didn't seem very interested. She was nice and everything but didn't seem like she wanted to hear more. She didn't give us her number, but said we could stop by sometime on the weekend if we wanted. We decided to follow up with her, and while we were walking up the driveway I thought to myself, "I can't believe we're even going back to this lady's house." We knocked on the door and her boyfriend, Justin, who she's been with for twelve years answered the door. We had barely finished introducing ourselves when he said, "You guys wanna come in?" So we walked inside and started talking to him.  He told us that he was in the army and that he and Robin hadn't been to church in awhile and that it was really starting to have an effect on them. Like I mentioned, he said they had been together for twelve years and they have a nine-year old daughter together. At the time we were talking to Justin, Robin wasn't there but after about fifteen minutes she walked in and said, "Hey! I was just thinking about you guys. I was telling my husband how amazing you were." Elder Flake and I looked at each other and we were thinking, “Where was this enthusiasm three days ago?” We started talking to them about the gospel and the Book of Mormon, and without even asking them, Justin said, "Ya, we'll be at your church next week. We have no excuse not to be there." We were thrilled. Ya, baby!! It was a really cool experience. It showed me that God will answer our prayers as long as we're willing to go out and work for them ourselves.
            This week I also found out that someone I baptized in Hickory Flat was able to receive the priesthood and baptize his wife a couple weeks ago! They wrote me a letter and told me they planned on getting sealed for all time and eternity in the temple a year from now! The happiness of the gospel is real!

Happy Cinco de Mayo everyone! Go eat a burrito or something.

Love you all! Thank you for your endless support,

Elder Roddy

No comments:

Post a Comment