Monday, May 4, 2015

What goes up, must come down, then back up, then down, then up......

Hey Family!                                                                                                   

Well, the subject of my post says it all for me this week. That's just the mission life! This week was crazy! It all started on Wednesday when I was on exchange with another Elder in our ward. Elder Cottle was supposed to have a lesson with Mauricio and Kimberly, until they got a text from their older sister, Cindy, that said, "Sorry guys, but Mauricio and Kimberly will no longer be going to church." We were stunned!  Whaaat? Later we learned that Cindy got into a huge fight with her mom and older sister. So, to punish Cindy, her mom said she couldn't spend ANY time with Mauricio and Kimberly, which included taking them to church. As a result, the Church became involved in their argument, when it really didn't need to be. It was just a mess. It was a classic example of Satan trying to get in the way and break off families right at the time when everything was going so well. It was so sad because Mauricio and Kimberly were literally crying about not being able to attend church! So, we decided to just be patient and let it blow over and not get in the middle of their situation. On Friday night I went to their home with another Elder (on exchange again) and I thought, “Okay, I'm going to act just like I would with Dad when I wanted a later curfew or an extended privilege." So, we just went into their house, expressed our love, and helped them feel the Spirit. Sure enough, by now it's all calmed down. Cindy and her mom have made amends and all of them should be coming to church on Mother's Day. But, because of all this, Mauricio and Kimberly probably won't be getting baptized this weekend. Their parents want to get more involved with the Church, so if we try to baptize the entire family together, it might take a little longer. Hopefully we'll be able to figure it out after we meet with them this week! 
After being in New York for a week, Nella finally returned home. Yesterday we went to go see her and Jacques for the first time in a week and half and they were having a little party so we didn't stay long, but right before we left their house she said, "Guys. I need to tell you something. So, I don't want you guys to stop visiting me, but..." Right then my heart dropped and I was thinking, “NO NELLA! STOP THINKING the CHURCH IS BAD. NOOOOO…” But, then she continued "I've heard that you guys stop visiting people after they are baptized, and if you stop visiting me after my baptism I swear I'll kill you both." I was so relieved and thought, “OH THANK GOODNESS. We can handle that.” We're teaching her in the Bishop's home on Wednesday night (Jacques can't come) so our lesson with her should be good and we should have a date for her soon! 
So, literally right before I was transferred to Alpharetta, there was a family from the Bahamas who was baptized, Hugues and her sister, Fabiola, and her kids Mauken and Jamaiyah. We've been working with them a ton. At the time of their baptism their friend, Diane, was living with them and she planned to get baptized but her job called her back to the Bahamas. Well, it turns out that right now she in Georgia helping Fabiola because they're about to move when school is over, and she wants to be baptized while she's here! She had planned to be baptized in the Bahamas but the missionaries never visited her. It'll be interesting because now she wants to be baptized here before they all leave to go back to the Bahamas. We'll see how it goes but hopefully Diane will be baptized on the 16th!     
??  Dress Clothes and Running Shoes = Missionary Style ??
I had dinner with Richard G. Scott's brother this week! He is in our ward and he's “the man!” He's been a Mission President before and he was the Stake President of the Roswell Stake during the time when it covered about half of our mission boundaries. It was so cool to spend time with him! 
On Saturday our Stake held an annual 5k that they sponsor every year for a former Stake President who passed away a few years ago. To show our support, Elder Cottle and I and a couple of other missionaries decided to run it. Well, obviously we can't run in pants so we wore shorts with our white shirts and ties! Ha Ha! It was hilarious! 
Grandma Carolyn was an angel sent from heaven for me this week! (Both of my grandmas are really good at supporting me!) This week I got a letter from Grandma Carolyn that apparently she meant for me to get a few weeks ago but it got mixed up in the mail. In the letter, the very first thing she talked about was how Satan tries extra hard to bring me, and those I'm working with, down because I'm on a mission. But, God's power is always stronger. It was just amazing for me to get that letter this week rather than when it was supposed to come. I know it wasn't a coincidence!
Thank you for everything! I LOVE YOU GUYS!

Elder Roderick 


No comments:

Post a Comment