Hey Y'all!
Thank you
so much for your e-mails and thank you for the pizza you had delivered to
our house the other night. You have no idea what perfect timing that was!! We
had actually fasted that day for the sisters who were in the car accident, so
we were pretty hungry and it couldn't have been more perfect timing! So, thank
you!
| Elder Roderick & Finley |
As you
heard, it's been a pretty somber week for the mission, but everyone seems to be
doing okay. Some of the missionaries who knew Sister Barnard and Sister
Beckstrom are having a hard time. but they're holding in there. I didn't
personally know either of them, but it's still really sad. We don't know too
many details and we're not aloud to talk to any media or anything about it
(they've been everywhere) but what I do know is that they were sideswiped by a
semi-truck and dragged about 30 feet. Sister Barnard passed away and Sister
Beckstrom is currently in critical condition at the hospital in a medical-induced
coma. Please keep them and their families in your prayers! As a result of this
tragedy, it's been really amazing to see how the missionaries here in the mission have
united together and it makes us even more grateful for our time that we get to
spend here on earth. It really motivates me to make sure I serve my best every
day and leave everything in the hands of the Lord!
| Elder Roderick & Jamaiyah |
Man,
leaving Roswell at the beginning of this week was so hard! I love all those
people there so much and I'm going to miss them. The good news is I could
honestly promise each of them that I would see them soon. I love the
friendships I've made here in Georgia because I know that they won't just last
for these two years. I was able to talk to Elder Cottle today and things in
Roswell are going really well! Kimberly, Jeanette and Julia will all be getting
baptized this weekend! I'm hoping and praying that I get to go, somehow. I also
found out that two other people we were teaching are on date to be baptized as
well: Wilma and Abraham. I have to share with you how we found Wilma.
| Elder Roderick & The Kelly Family |
| Elder Roderick with Annie & Victoria Cole |
One day we were following up with one of our investigators, Mercy, who lives on the same street as Wilma. When we got to Mercy's house, we found out that she wasn't home, and her boyfriend was there with the kids, who told us that he wasn't able to talk at that time. So we were talking to Mercy's 9-year-old daughter and 4-year-old son and before we left we decided to ask them if they had any friends with whom we could talk. I thought I was crazy for asking a 4-year-old kid for a referral, but immediately he said, "Yah! Come meet our friend, Miss Wilma! We love her!" So we walked down the street with them and met Wilma, whom we learned babysits the kids from time to time. We proceeded to talk with her for about 30 minutes, shared a lesson with her and got a return appointment. We learned that she was from Brazil and was interested in learning more about the Church. The next week, Elder Cottle visited her with a team-up (a member from the ward). Through the visit, we came to find out that Wilma's dad was actually a member of the Church, and that she had always been curious about what the Mormons believed. Our team-up was also able to make a really good connection with her, because his wife speaks Portuguese, and Wilma does too. To make a long story short, Wilma came to church yesterday and has a baptismal date for the 27th of June. I was amazed to see what miracles had taken place from asking a 4-year-old kid whom he knew that we could teach. It's no wonder Christ tells us to be like little children, and I can honestly tell you that we probably would never have knocked on Wilma's door if the kids didn't tell us to go meet her. It strengthened my testimony about how the Lord is truly preparing people to accept the gospel.
| Elder Roderick with Jania, Sophia, Nina & Cleevens |
| Elder Johnson, Elder Roderick & Elder Detmer |
Well, my first week in Canton has been amazing! However, it is soooooo weird to be back here after 15 months. My experience at church yesterday felt like deja vu all day long! It was so good to see all of my Hickory Flat friends again! Gosh! I just love everyone there so much and I'm so happy that I get to serve around them before I go home! Sister Dustin practically tackled me in the church hallway. And, I saw Stanley too! He's been going to church every week and is doing sooo well! I can already tell the Canton Ward is going to be amazing too. My new companion's name is Elder Detmer and he’s from Las Vegas. No, Dad. He isn't related to Ty Detmer. He's a good kid and he's REALLY prepared to be here. It's been super fun being in a trio and serving with Elder Johnson again too. In the last few months, he has grown so much. President Bennion knew that as long as he took him away from me for awhile, he'd turn out all right. Currently, we're teaching a couple who are in their 50s, Julius and Joyce Mays, as well as their 8-year-old daughter, Angel. Julius is currently on date to be baptized on June 27th, and he's progressing really well. We're just working with him on the word of wisdom, so pray for him please!
Tomorrow
we're getting iPads! Yeaaaa, Buddy. Don't even think about FaceTiming me...Ya,
Heathens! I love
you guys so much! Thank you for all your support and for everything you do for
me!!
Elder
Roderick
No comments:
Post a Comment