Whaddduppp
peeps!!! Just wrappin’ up my second week in the mission field...and what a week
it was!! I think I'm finally starting to get used to the missionary lifestyle.
I've come to accept that I'll never, ever get used to waking up at 6:30
though...that rule was made by Satan himself.
Elder Tonga and I have been really
busy this week. Lots of door knocking and tons of contacting whenever we can.
It seems to be paying off!! Right now we have about 7 investigators who we are
actively teaching. I love meeting with people over and over again and doing my
best to answer whatever questions they have. I'm already starting to see the
change in some of them.
Like I
mentioned last week, everyone here is so stubborn with their religion. Everyone
is convinced that "their Christ" is the only true Christ. I'm like
"Listen yo, Christ was the same yesterday as he is today and he is never
going to change". Lucky for me, I've already had a few classic Bible
bashing sessions! Just kidding they're rough! They can be fun sometimes...but
they're completely pointless. There are tons of people who let us in just for
the intent of bashing. In fact, we have a dinner appointment next week and my
companion has been to their house a couple times already. According to him, all
they do is look up anti-Mormon things on the computer and ask us questions, then
write down our responses for their own use at their church. How stupid!! So our
plan is to go there and just ask them if there is any service we can do, and
avoid any discussion. A lot of times we'll be meeting with someone, and they'll
be bashing us and we will have the perfect doctrine or scripture to totally
shut them up, but we know that it will only build the contention so we don't.
This is super frustrating for me! Especially because I love to argue with
everyone...oops. I've quickly learned about why they say the South is so
passionate about their Bible!! Whenever we get into a bashing situation I just
remind myself of Elder Holland's quote...."Never Bible bash. But if you
do, WIN."
Despite all of our bashing and
getting rejected in every way possible, we have also managed to have a lot
of success!! On Friday night, I committed my first person to baptism! I'm
really excited about it!! It is a lady named Tiffany who my companion met
before I got here. On Friday, we had a really spiritual lesson with her and I
asked her to be baptized and she said yes!! She is on date for the 5th of
October. She has trouble with smoking so I'm hoping that she'll be ready for
that day. Whether she is or not though, she has committed to be baptized and it
will happen eventually. I couldn't be happier! We also have two other
investigators who are ready to be baptized and said they want to, but they
aren't on date. One of them needs to get married or move out of her boyfriend's
apartment...so it's tricky. The other is a 15 year old kid who lives with his
grandparents but needs to "work out some issues with his dad" before
he gets baptized, and it is taking painfully long. Both of them will fallow
through soon though!!
I absolutely love being a missionary
so far! In my short time here, I've already seen the hardships and the rewards
of this work. It's so humbling to see all these different people and their
situations in life. We have it really good back home!
Gotta go...Tonga is getting
hungry......and that's not good. Must feed Tonga now.
Love you all!! Hope you guys are having a wonderful week!
Elder Loteliki (my Tongan name...living with a Tongan pretty
much makes me one, right?)
No comments:
Post a Comment