"First Baptism on the Books"
Saturday, September 27, 2013
Elder Auaea, the Heeter Family, Elder Roderick and Elder Gilliat
September
29, 2013
Wassss
gucci my friends!! I hope you're all having an awesome Monday in the 801 or
wherever you are! I love receiving letters from so many of you and reading about how you're
doing. Thank you for the love!!
It was a slower week here in Hickory
Flat. Not as many people were willing to talk about Jesus I guess! The weather
has been super nice...70's with barely any humidity. PRAISE DA LORD! This makes
our new mission rule of knocking doors for 2 hours a day a lot easier! Everyone
is caught up in the middle of football season so I just walk around saying, "Go Dawgs" everywhere I go and it seems to make people like the
Mormon boys in white shirts a little more than before. I'm still getting used
to everyone staring at us for an extra 5 seconds. Ha-ha. You can tell they're
sitting there wondering what in the heck three boys in white shirts and ties are
doing walking around in the middle of the day knocking on people's doors. You'd
be surprised how many people here have never had contact with missionaries!
Most of them have talked to Jehovah’s Witnesses and think we're the same thing.
This week I got myself into a few
bashing sessions and had some interesting door approaches with some very stubborn
Baptists! Like I've said, you never want to Bible bash, but every time I do I
walk away literally laughing at some of the things people think the Mormons
believe! Apparently, because I'm Mormon I believe in a different Jesus than the
rest of the world. Ha-ha. JESUS IS THE SAME DUDE WHEREVER YOU GO PEOPLE. Golly. I can't tell you how many times we've
been called a Cult in the past week. It's awesome and, very funny.
On Saturday we had the privilege to
baptize the Heeter family!! It was such an awesome experience! First baptism in
the books. Mrs. Heeter asked me to baptize and confirm her two boys who are 16
and 12 years old. I guess the Heeters think Elder Auaea is stronger than me or
something because they had him baptize the dad who weighs.......more than his
kids. Psssh. I could've done it with one arm. I went last, so I got to see
how to do it, or how NOT to do it. Ha-ha. Our new companion, Elder Gilliat, got
the job of baptizing the mom, and the kid pretty much double-dunked the
poor lady. He didn't realize he would kind of have to push her under, so
when he lowered her into the water he brought her up too fast, then you could
see him think, “Crap!” and he pushed her back under again. I WAS
LAUGHING SO HARD (respectively, of course...with the bishop laughing
with me). Ha-ha-ha. I call him Double Dunkin' Gilliat now. So, by the time I was supposed to baptize the boys, I knew what to expect and everything
went awesome.
They also asked us to confirm
them on Saturday night. Before we confirmed them, I was so nervous because I
had no idea what I was going to say to these kids and what to bless them
with. Just seconds before starting the confirmation, I was lost for words. When
I laid my hands on their head and closed my eyes the Spirit came to
me so strong and literally spoke the words for me. I had no idea
what I was saying, but I know I just kept talking. It ended up
going really well and after the program was over, Mrs. Heeter came up to me and
told me I blessed her boys with the exact things that she was hoping for.
It was an extremely humbling experience for me and a huge testimony builder!
We met
again with Susan last night. Man, that woman is confusing!! We know she wants
to get baptized and wants us to prepare her for it, but she told us last
night that she never wants to go to church on Sundays or do service in the
church, which is what our church is all about! So this will be hard. But, I
know that as she becomes more converted, she will eventually come to
realize the importance of attending church and serving. She is going to be
helping her mom over the next few weeks by preparing her for surgery, so we
aren't going to be able to contact her as much, which stinks. Last
night though, she told us she would willingly stop smoking and drinking coffee
if that were what she had to do! We didn't even have to fight it
or anything. Ha-ha. Last night she told me that I'm going to make a
good salesman one day because I never take "no" for an answer. The woman already
knows me too well! Anyway, I predict it will be a couple of months before
Susan has the opportunity to get baptized. She also got negative
feedback from family members who mean a lot to her. This puts a dent in the whole baptism idea,
but its nothing a little faith and persistence can't fix.
On Wednesday I went on an
exchange with the zone leader. Obviously I was way nervous, but
it ended up being an awesome experience and I learned a ton from him. He told
me I was very humble, which is possibly the last word I would
ever use to describe myself as a human being.
Random thought: If I go bald on my
mission, will any of you still talk to me?? So many missionaries in this
mission are losing their hair left and right. It's mortally terrifying.
This week our apartment featured "Health and Safety Training: Food Edition". Elder Auaea hasn't
seemed to grasp the concept that raw bacon and chicken need to be
cooked BEFORE you start eating them. Tongans. I tell ya. Crazy people! He
tries to eat any dog he sees on the road. I wonder what will happen when
he actually catches one. Dog Stew I guess.
I'm learning a lot as a
missionary!! Serving a mission is definitely the most humbling thing
anyone could ever do. As a missionary, you find that people open up to you and
tell you their whole life story without even asking them a question. Every
day I meet someone who has a crazy life story and is looking for any kind
of guidance in their life. Even though it's still a long shot that they will
accept the gospel, I know that whatever we teach them will help a
great deal, and that's all I really care about.
I can't tell you how much your
support and words of encouragement mean to me!! I've been amazed at the
love I get from you guys! Thanks for being so awesome and please just keep
doing amazing things out there. I love you all so much!!!
Gotta go talk to some hicks out Jesus
now. PEACE OUT!!
Elder
Roddy
No comments:
Post a Comment