Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Just Trying to Make a Difference in the World



         




"A common sign used here by the wonderful rednecks of northern Georgia. I'm just out here in the struggle trying to make a difference in the world..jeez people #gorams"

Letter 9.23.13

 I hope you guys are having a great day and even better week! I sure did! 
This week Tonga and I got another companion. He's supposed to go to Brazil but didn't get his visa, so they figured they would send him to the South because it's like another world here anyway. He's from Oregon and is really nice!
            On Friday night we got an amazing call from a family called the Heeters (I call them the Haterzzzz). This family used to be members of the Church, then they actually got their names removed because of a horrible experience they had. Thankfully, they saw the light again, and for the last year or so they've been working with the missionaries and have been preparing themselves to be baptized again. They were one of the very first families I met when I got here. So, on Friday they called us and suddenly they said, "Hey. So, can you guys ask the bishop if we can be baptized next week instead??" We were stunned! "WHAT???" I guess they FINALLY got the approval from the bishop to be baptized and become members of the church again! It's so amazing! So this Saturday we are baptizing their family of 4. I'm so excited and so proud of them!! Pics will come… all dressed in white, Baby!
            The most remarkable thing that has happened this week though came from a lady we met named Susan. I am going to do my very best to tell you what we've experienced with her but I don't even know where to start! On Wednesday we were knocking doors doing what we call “Harvest Blessings,” which are when you ask the people if you can pray with them and leave a blessing on their home, rather than offering to share a message. It's a lot more effective. Anyway, we knocked on Susan's door and when she heard what we were doing she let us in to pray with her. I gave the blessing and by the time it was over we looked up and Susan was just bawling!! After talking to her for a while, we learned that Susan's mother is undergoing major back surgery soon and if it doesn't go well she'll probably not make it. Also, Susan's husband, David, died about 10 years ago from a drug overdose.  And, her health hasn't been good either because she smokes, has gained about 80 pounds, and doesn’t have a job. So, we taught her a little about the Plan of Salvation and she was just crying during the whole thing.
On Friday we went back to her house to follow up with her and we took a member along with us. At the beginning of the lesson she asked us "So why do you guys want to come back to me? There are other people that don't even have a faith in Christ (Susan is Baptist) and need it more than me. And I sure as h*ll am not turning into a Mormon." Ha Ha! This hurt to hear, but we explained to her why we cared about her so much and how the gospel could change her life. The lesson ended up going AMAZING and you could literally see the Spirit change her. So, at the end of the lesson we asked her if she would prepare to get baptized, and she said, "You know what? Maybe. Maybe." It wasn't a “yes” but the change that occurred in only an hour was incredible! At the end of the lesson, Susan told us that at least 10 pairs of missionaries have come to her door before but she's never let them in, but on Wednesday she just had this feeling like she had to let us in. She went on to say that at first, we kind of annoyed her with how persistent we were, but now every time we leave she said she feels closer to God then she has ever felt. It was really cool!! Also at the end of the lesson, I asked her if she would pray to know that the things we were telling her were true. She sat there for about 20 seconds and looked at me and said, "I don't need to pray about that. I already know that this is true!" This was awesome to hear.
Last night we were driving home and I just felt like we had to go see her. I don't know why but I knew we had to. So we went and knocked on her door and she said, "Come in. Come in I have things to ask you guys!" We sat down and she started asking us all about the spirit world (we had her read about it) and what happens to people there. When we told her that her husband would have the chance to hear the gospel there and accept Christ she just started bawling! I guess she's been really nervous about that. And, she was so amazed at the fact that it was possible for her to live with him again, forever. So at the end of the lesson, we asked her again if she would be baptized. She refused to set a specific date for baptism, but she said she would let us prepare her to be baptized!! It was so awesome!! I'm so excited to keep working with her and make sure she gets ready. The whole smoking thing will be hard but it will happen!
So, as you can see this whole week with Susan has been pretty incredible and so fun to be a part of!! I'm so proud of her! Hopefully she will stay committed, because in her own words, "My family will sh*t a brick when I tell them I'll be getting baptized Mormon." Ha Ha! Obviously, this is not the best choice of words but it made me laugh soooo hard.
            Apparently my Tongan companion still hasn't gotten the grasp of all the American swear words yet. Yesterday, we were in the apartment and I heard him say "SH******T!!" I was said, “Bro you can't say that!!!!!” He was so confused!! It turns out he thought "sheet" and "sh*t" were the same word because his pronunciation isn't that good. So, when he heard us laugh when Susan said it, he thought it was okay. Hahahahaha! Good stuff! Good stuff!
       
I hope each and every one of you are having an awesome week!! I love you guys!!

Elder Roddy

No comments:

Post a Comment